Aljamain Sterling is a mixed martial artist and bantamweight champion in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). He has been fighting professionally since 2011, and his career record stands at 18-3. Sterling has earned numerous accolades for his skills inside the octagon, including Fight of the Night honors twice and Performance of the Night three times. Aljamain is widely regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in UFC history. Here are some other interesting facts about Aljamain Sterling:
1. Aljamain started his martial arts journey as a wrestler in high school and went on to compete in NCAA Division I wrestling at Syracuse University.
2. Aljamain won gold medals nine times between 2011-2013 at various grappling tournaments, including the North American Grappling Association (NAGA) tournament.
3. Aljamain won his first UFC fight with a submission in the third round against Cody Gibson and was awarded the Performance of the Night bonus for that fight.
4. Aljamain is known for his aggressive style and has finished 15 out of 18 wins in his career inside the octagon by either knockout or submission.
5. Aljamain defeated former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz to become only the fifth fighter in history to win both a grappling championship and an MMA title.
6. Aljamain is currently ranked as the No. 1 bantamweight in the world according to ESPN’s pound-for-pound rankings.
7. Aljamain was named Fighter of the Year for 2020 by Yahoo Sports and Sherdog after winning three fights in quick succession, including the championship win against Petr Yan at UFC 259. Aljamain is currently on a nine-fight win streak and shows no signs of slowing down. There’s no doubt Aljamain Sterling will continue to be an exciting force in the bantamweight division of the UFC for years to come!