Widespread Panic is an American rock band from Athens, Georgia. The band currently consists of John Bell, Jimmy Herring, Dave Schools, JoJo Hermann, Todd Nance and Duane Trucks.
1. Widespread Panic got their start in 1986 when John Bell and Michael Houser met while attending the University of Georgia.
Widespread Panic formed in Athens, Georgia in 1986 when guitarists John Bell and Michael Houser met while attending the University of Georgia. The two quickly added bassist Dave Schools and drummer Todd Nance to the lineup, and the band began gigging around town.
2. The band’s name was inspired by a film called Widespread Panic.
The group took their name from a low-budget horror flick called Widespread Panic, which they watched one night while tripping on acid. The movie’s title seemed like an appropriate reflection of the band’s chaotic early shows.
3. Widespread Panic is known for their long improvisational jams.
Widespread Panic is best known for their extended improvis
ational jams, which often take their songs in unexpected directions. This spontaneity is one of the things that makes their live shows so special.
4. The band has released 13 studio albums and numerous live albums.
Widespread Panic has released 13 studio albums over the course of their career, including such classics as Space Wrangler and Ain’t Life Grand. They’ve also put out a number of live albums, which are prized by fans for capturing the band’s raw energy onstage.
5. Widespread Panic has been nominated for two Grammy Awards.
Widespread Panic has been nominated for two Grammy Awards, both in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category. Though they haven’t yet won a Grammy, the band was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in 2005.
6. The band has a close relationship with the city of Athens and its music scene.
Widespread Panic has always been closely associated with the city of Athens and its vibrant music scene. The band got their start playing at local clubs like The 40 Watt Club and The University Union, and they continue to perform in Athens on a regular basis.
7. Widespread Panic is one of the most successful touring bands of all time.
Widespread Panic is one of the most successful touring bands of all time, having played over 2,000 live shows since their formation in 1986. They’re particularly well-known for their annual Thanksgiving run of shows at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, which has become a tradition for many of their fans.
8. The band has its own music festival, called Panic en la Playa.
Widespread Panic founded their own music festival in 2009, called Panic en la Playa. The event takes place every year at the all-inclusive Hard Rock Hotel in Riviera Maya, Mexico and features performances by the band as well as other artists from the jam band scene.
9. Widespread Panic was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in 2005.
As mentioned above, Widespread Panic was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in 2005. This honor is reserved for musicians who have made a significant contribution to the state’s musical heritage.
10. Widespread Panic is still going strong after more than 30 years together.
Widespread Panic shows no signs of slowing down, even after more than three decades together. The band continues to tour regularly and release new music, and they show no signs of slowing down any time soon.