Sum 41 has been around since 1996, and it has been a wild ride! Here are the top 10 secrets about Sum 41:
1. Sum 41 was originally called “Kaspir” but were forced to change their name due to copyright infringement.
2. Sum 41 is one of the few rock bands that reached mainstream success without ever signing with a major record label.
3. Sum 41’s debut album ‘All Killer No Filler’ was named after a phrase used by former bandmate Steve Jocz when he would describe something as being awesome or cool.
4. Sum 41 wrote and recorded their hit single “Fat Lip” in just three hours while they were on tour in Japan.
5. Sum 41’s music has been featured in several movies, including ‘American Wedding’, ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. The World’ and ‘Spiderman 2’.
6. Sum 41 was the first Canadian band to ever have an album debut at number one on the Billboard 200 chart with their 2002 release ‘Does This Look Infected?’.
7. Sum 41 is well known for their energetic live performances, often involving crowd surfing and mosh pits.
8. Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley suffered from alcohol addiction in 2014 and spent three months in hospital recovering from liver failure as a result of his drinking habits.
9. Sum 41 released their seventh studio album ’13 Voices’ in 2016, which marked their first release since the band’s hiatus in 2013.
10. Sum 41 is one of the most successful Canadian rock bands of all time with over 8 million records sold worldwide.