Robbie Coltrane is a British actor, comedian and musician who is best known for his role as Hagrid in the Harry Potter films. He has been in many films and TV shows over the years, including Cracker, The World Is Not Enough, Nuns on the Run and Goldeneye. Here are Top 10 Secrets About Robbie Coltrane you may not have known.
1. He was originally cast to play Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films but decided to take on the role of Hagrid instead because he saw more potential for comedy in that character.
He also did some of his own stunts in the films.
2. His first successful TV appearance was on an episode of Tiswas, a British children’s television show which ran from 1974 to 1982.
He was one of the original members of the “Tiswas Gang” and stayed with them until they disbanded in 1981.
3. Coltrane began as a stand-up comedian before getting into film and television work.
He performed at London’s Comedy Store throughout the 1980s and even released two comedy albums, Tartan Pants & Purple Jumper and The Great White Hoax.
4. Robbie was born Anthony Robert McMillan but changed his name when he started performing comedy because there were already several comedians with the same name.
He chose “Coltrane” after his favorite jazz musician, John Coltrane.
5. After leaving school as a teenager, Robbie worked as an apprentice electrician before deciding to pursue a career in comedy and acting.
6. In addition to being an actor, comedian and musician, Coltrane is also a talented painter.
His paintings have been shown in exhibitions across the UK and he even wrote a book about his art titled Painting Paradise: The Art of Robbie Coltrane.
7. He has two children- one daughter and one son- from his first marriage to Rhona Gemmell which ended in 2003 after 18 years together.
Robbie married his second wife, Suzanne Alexander, in 2010.
8. Coltrane holds a black belt in judo and also practices yoga regularly.
9. He was awarded an OBE (Order of the British Empire) by Queen Elizabeth in 2000 for services to drama.
10. Robbie is an animal lover and supports many charities that are dedicated to wildlife conservation and animal rights such as the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation and Born Free USA.
These Top 10 Secrets About Robbie Coltrane prove that there is more to him than just Hagrid from Harry Potter! Not only is he a talented actor but he also has various other skills and interests that make him even more interesting- so be sure to check out some of his other work when you get the chance.