Martha’s Vineyard is a beautiful and popular vacation destination, but there are some things about the island that even its most ardent fans may not know. Here are 10 of the best-kept secrets about Martha’s Vineyard.
1. The island is home to more than just humans.
Martha’s Vineyard is home to a variety of wildlife, including deer, foxes, rabbits, and even the occasional coyote. There are also more than 200 species of birds that make their home on the island.
2. The island has a long literary history.
Martha’s Vineyard has been a popular destination for writers for centuries. Some of the most famous authors who have called the island home include Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, and Truman Capote.
3. The island has been a haven for celebrities.
Martha’s Vineyard has long been a popular vacation destination for celebrities, including Jackie Kennedy, Bill Clinton, and Oprah Winfrey. Even President Obama vacations on the island every year.
4. The island has a dark history.
Martha’s Vineyard has a dark history that includes shipwrecks, piracy, and even the Salem witch trials.
5. The island is home to America’s oldest working lighthouse.
The Gay Head Lighthouse is the oldest working lighthouse in the United States. It was built in 1799 and has been guiding ships to safety ever since.
6. The island is home to a variety of unique shops.
Martha’s Vineyard is home to a number of unique shops, including the Island Alpaca Company, which sells alpaca wool products, and the Black Dog Tavern, which is a popular restaurant and bar.
7. The island has a number of interesting museums.
The Martha’s Vineyard Museum is the perfect place to learn about the history of the island. The museum also houses a number of unique exhibits, including a replica of the whaleboat that saved the life of Herman Melville.
8. The island has a number of beautiful beaches.
Martha’s Vineyard is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, including Norton Point Beach, Lucy Vincent Beach, and Squibnocket Beach.
9. The island is a popular destination for weddings.
Martha’s Vineyard is a popular destination for weddings, with a number of beautiful venues to choose from.
10. The island is a great place to relax and get away from it all.
Martha’s Vineyard is the perfect place to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. With its beautiful beaches, quaint shops, and unique history, the island has something for everyone.