Gary Numan , the English singer and songwriter, has been making music since 1977. He is one of the most influential electronic musicians in history, as evidenced by his success both in the pop charts and on the club scene. Gary Numan’s style ranges from synth-pop to industrial rock, and he has released over 20 albums throughout his career. Here are 10 secrets about Gary Numan that you might not know:
1. Gary was initially inspired to become a musician after hearing glam rock legends T-Rex perform their hit single ‘Ride a White Swan’.
2. Gary released his first album – Tubeway Army – in 1978 as part of an industrial rock project that was influenced by punk music and early electro sounds.
3. Gary’s first international hit was 1979’s ‘Are Friends Electric?’, which reached number one in the UK Singles Chart and became a top 10 hit in the US, Canada and Australia.
4. Gary is credited with popularizing the use of synthesizers, particularly those made by Japanese manufacturer Roland Corporation, during his early years in the music industry.
5. Gary has also branched out into other genres like rockabilly, techno and gothic music throughout his career.
6. Gary is considered to be an influence on many bands of subsequent generations including Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and The Prodigy.
7. Gary was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020, making him one of few electronic music artists to be so honoured.
8. Gary has been cited as an influence on some of today’s biggest pop stars such as Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Sia.
9. Gary performed at the London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony alongside other British icons like The Who and Take That.
10. Gary has appeared in several films, including Repo Man (1984) and Strange Days (1995). He also composed music for the soundtrack of director Alex Cox’s science-fiction film ‘Sorcerer & The White Snake’ (2013). Gary Numan is a veteran musician who continues to shape modern music today. His influence on the music industry is undeniable, and his place in history is firmly cemented due to his innovative use of technology, genre-bending musical style, and impressive body of work that spans decades. Gary Numan is an artist worth knowing more about!