Charles Oliveira has been a professional fighter for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) since 2010. He is currently ranked as one of the top lightweight contenders in the UFC, with an impressive record of 28 victories and eight losses. Charles Oliveira is known for his aggressive fighting style, which often leads to submissions or knockouts. Here are some lesser-known facts about Charles Oliveira:
1. Charles Oliveira was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil on October 17th, 1989 and began practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the age of 15.
2. Charles trains out of The MMA Lab in Arizona under head coach John Crouch where he also teaches jiu-jitsu classes to aspiring fighters.
3. Charles was scheduled to
fight former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis in his third UFC fight but was forced out of the bout due to injury.
4. Charles holds the record for most submission victories in UFC history with 17.
5. Charles holds three Performance of the Night bonuses, one Fight of the Night bonus and has been awarded Submission of the Night four times by UFC.
6. Charles Oliveira is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and holds a brown belt in Judo as well.
7. Charles Oliveira won his first professional MMA bout at the age of 16 years old against Andre Luis Santos Mota at Shooto Brazil 14 on October 6th, 2006.
8. Charles Oliveira has won 11 fights by knockout and 17 fights by submission.
9. Charles Oliveira is the only fighter in UFC history to have multiple submissions in two different weight classes (Lightweight, Featherweight).
10. Charles Oliveira was briefly linked with a return to his home country of Brazil for a fight against Max Holloway at UFC 212, but unfortunately the bout never materialised. Charles continues to be one of the top lightweight contenders in the UFC and will look to add more impressive victories to his record moving forward.